Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Snow on Snow

Sometimes the wonders of the world come to you.  Sipping hot chocolate while watching my world transformed into white, I was reminded of the first verse of Christina Rosetti's Christmas carol:

In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter...

Only this was not "long ago," but right now, and I was living through Washington D.C.'s snowiest winter on record.  It started out as the snowiest December on record, followed by an end-of -January weekend storm that canceled church for icy roads, followed by an overnight storm that closed schools for a day, followed the next week by two blizzards that shut down everything--the schools for an entire week and the federal government most of the week as inadequate snow removal equipment attempted to clear paths in over 3 feet of snow so that life could restart.

For some it was a difficult time with fallen trees and without power or heat.  My inconveniences were small--having to dig a path to the bird feeders (after the 2nd blizzard we had to feed them in the yard because the fence gate could not be opened) and shoveling out cars.  A very kind neighbor surprised us by shoveling our mound of steps!

So now as snow mountains are beginning to melt, filling potholes with muddy, salty puddles and I am struggling with rescheduling meetings and catching up at work, I find I miss those quiet moments of reflection when time stood still and we were held captive by the swirling snows.   Grab a cup of cocoa and enjoy my slideshow of snow transformations.
Click link for slide show: (hit black "box" above white print to start)
Snow on Snow



March 3, 2010 Postscript:  Signs of Spring


  

3 comments:

Marie W said...

A familiar scene indeed! I didn't see the link to the pictures. It may require writing a word in the code that the blogger link tool provides. You enter the word between the "> <" and then that becomes highlighted as your link.

Dan Cummings said...

I'd know that tire swing anywhere...

Aaron said...

Great documentation of the big snow. I especially like the picture of the plants poking through the snow. Great shot!