Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tulip Time in Amsterdam



I've been cheated!  After enduring an early and long winter (see snow post), we popped too quickly into hot, humid summer weather at the beginning of April.  Spring is usually the most beautiful season in this area, but the spring flowers disappeared far too quickly into summer green.


So I decided to post photos from my three hours in The Netherlands  in April 2007 to get a booster shot of spring.   I was returning with a friend from my first trip to Tanzania (see my first post in 2008), and we were scheduled to spend 6 hours in the Amsterdam airport between flights.

Knowing it was prime tulip season and never having been to Amsterdam, we scheduled in advance on the internet for a guide to pick us up at 8 am at the airport, drive us somewhere to see flowers, and return us in time for our flight to the US.  It was pricey, but convenient, and a delightful break in a very long trip home.

Our guide, Rose, chose to take us to the Keukenhof Gardens, about 30 min. from the city, which are only open for 2 months in the year.  Various Dutch bulb companies prepare display gardens and exhibits for buyers and the public for the blooming season.  After driving along canals bordered with fields of vibrant colored flowers, we arrived at Kuekenhof in time for its  opening, but before the crowds arrived.  The two hours flew by.   We did not have enough time to explore all of the gardens, but what an incredible sensory feast!  There was almost too much beauty to take in.  In just a few hours, I experienced a spring that I shall never forget.  So, if any of the rest of you missed spring, enjoy!


Musical note:  Can you think of a Dutch composer?  If 17th century Jan Sweelinck and Constantijin Huygens don't pop to mind, you're not alone.  These are the only ones of significance that Google thought of.   I didn't happen to have any of their music around, so I chose the ever versatile Beethoven to accompany my spring.

Click link for Slideshow:
(click on the black area above the white writing for this one)
Tulip time
Music: Beethoven, Overture to Rosamunde, Classics for Relaxation
More information:
http://www.keukenhof.nl/
http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting

5 comments:

Marie W said...

Beautiful! I SO want to go there.

Janet said...

It is a great place to visit, but not as wonderful as your new bundle of joy!

Just Katy said...

Those flowers are amazing and SO many. I really like the green-yellow tulips.

Melinda said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

Dan Cummings said...

The tulips are just coming into flower out here in Utah, but I can't wait for the summer weather! Amsterdam and tulips are on my "to-see" list for one of my trips someday... But then again, that could be said of anything you've posted about/shared with us!