Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Capital (Washington, DC) Fourth (Of July)

July 4, 2011

Reflecting on the long journey to freedom many of the Eastern European countries had to travel, I am even more grateful for the liberties I enjoy in the USA.  Challenged by a niece to see more in my own backyard, I headed downtown DC (District of Colombia) midday on the 4th to see what I could see.

I have gone a number of times to see the Smithsonian Folklife Festival around the 4th on the National Mall   ( the long strip of grass between the Capitol and Lincoln Memorial, not an air conditioned cluster of shops, like I heard one disappointed teenager moan).  Every year there are 3 themes chosen--a foreign country, a US state or region, and an organization or special concept.  There are tents with demonstrations, stages with live performances, cooking classes, a market area to buy items from those areas, and stands to buy yummy regional foods to eat --in other words a lot of fun and interesting things to do.  It's taken me to Ireland, Bhutan, the Silk Road,  NASA, Indian Territories, etc.

This year they were celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps--spotlighting countries as diverse as Kenya, Tonga, Guatemala, Ukraine, Botswana, et. al.;  Rhythm and Blues from the South; and the country of Colombia.  I enjoyed food from West Africa and Southeast Asia with a Mrs. Field's cookie ice cream sandwich.  It's great to have those from other countries as well as our own diverse population join the celebration of our founding.

This year at the Archives Building where the original Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are kept, you could sign your name in agreement with the great principles of the Declaration:  that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights--life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  I didn't make it through the crowds to sign the document, but I declare my conviction here.

Our timing was perfect that day.  We arrived around 11:30 right near the place where the Independence Day parade was forming to go down Constitution Avenue.  What diverse groups there were:  Hispanics, Vietnamese, boy scouts, wounded veterans, high school bands, little hometown soldiers, American Sikhs and a great band representing the Falun Dafa philosophy.  I watched the parade as it came around the bend at the National Archives and marveled at all that has happened since those 13 vulnerable colonies announced to the world that they would be free and independent.

It was one of our usual hot and humid July days with threatening thunderstorms, so I returned home to watch the evening Capital Fourth concert below the Capitol and its magnificent fireworks display from the comfort of my air conditioned living room.  I admit  I'm not as hardy as those early patriots!

Join me in a parade!
Click below for a great slide show!
Independence Day parade


Music:  "It's a Grand Old Flag," God Bless America, Mormon Tabernacle Choir

2 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

What a wonderful day! I am so glad that you got to enjoy downtown DC on the fourth - what a great way to celebrate our country's birth :) I am glad that you missed the after fireworks traffic too - when I went with some friends to DC fireworks, we were packed like sardines when we took the metros afterwards, and ot took us a few hours to get home!

Janet said...

It did make me proud to be an American. America does not always reach her high ideals, but we are aiming for them. Watching from home does not have all the atmosphere (bugs, sweat, firework smoke), but it sure is a lot easier and more comfortable. I hope you had a good 4th, too.