Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Edinburgh Castle

July 2009

I had intended to skip Edinburgh Castle, as I had been there during our family's European summer after my schooling in France.  The memories of the pipers and drummers of the  Military Tattoo of that long ago August Edinburgh Festival still seemed fresh, so I planned to walk the Royal Mile seeing other sights.  But when I arrived at the base of the stone castle walls and heard a lone piper start to play as the gates opened, I was drawn inside to rediscover the mighty Castle Rock.

Although this volcanic precipice has been inhabited for over 3,000 years, the earliest ruins are the crumbling King David's Tower and the charming chapel he had built in 1130 in memory of his mother, St. Margaret, who died of a broken heart upon hearing that her husband, Malcolm III, had been killed at Alnwick.  In 1296, the castle was conquered by the English; then it was reconquered by the Scots; then the English; then again by the Scots where it continued as a royal palace of the Stuarts, housing the oldest crown jewels in the British Isles--the Scottish Honours (crown, sword, and sceptre), and the massive medieval Mons Meg cannon (1457).

Mary Queen of Scots preferred to live in the newer, less drafty Holyroodhouse Palace, but went up the hill when she was ready to give birth to her son, James VI, in 1566.  In 1603, he became King James I of a "united" England and Scotland at the death of Queen Elizabeth I.  There were still battles to be fought between the English and Scots over Edinburgh Castle, but none of the later kings and queens of Great Britain returned to lived there.  The Honours of Scotland were hidden for 111 years until rediscovered by Sir Walter Scott; the famed Stone of Destiny upon which the Scottish kings were enthroned was only returned to Edinburgh in 1996 after having been taken to England by Edward I in 1296.

More recently, the castle complex added the Dog Cemetery for regimental dogs; the Scottish National War Memorial to honor those who gave their lives in World War I and subsequent battles; the National War Museum; and the One O'Clock Gun (cannon) which fires exactly at 13:00 everyday except Christmas, Good Friday and Sundays--I guess no one needs to check their watches those days!  The view over Edinburgh is magnificent from these walls that could indeed tell tales.  I've also included photos from the nearby Princes Street Gardens.


Click link for slideshow:
Edinburgh Castle
Music: Amazing Grace
More information:  
http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/
http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

No comments: