Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Loch Muick Magic

July 2009
Some moments are simply magical.  On a perfect Saturday afternoon, Julia drove me up the Dee Valley through pine forests, along sparking rivers and lochs, past rocky hillsides to Loch Muick.  Loch Muick is on the far side of the royal Balmoral Estate at the foot of Lochnagar, a Highland "hill" about 3,000 feet tall that both Lord Byron and Prince Charles have written about. The fanciful castle built for Queen Victoria and her beloved Prince Albert about 1854 is open April-July when the Queen and family are not on holiday.  While I am certain that the royal palace is, as they say, quite lovely, Julia and I chose instead a hike in the Highlands.

The sun was shining; the sky was brilliant blue; the purple heather was blooming; and a gentle breeze  was stirring.  Then suddenly, they appeared-- a herd of more than 30 wild stags silhouetted along the crest of the Highland hills.   We stood spellbound (ok--my camera was shooting off as fast as it could) as we watched them graze and eventually move on.  Julia said she had never seen so many at once.  I was reminded of the scene when Queen Elizabeth II saw that magnificent stag in these same Balmoral hills  (The Queen).  We continued down to the shimmering Loch and back around by rentable cottages.  It was a feast not merely for my eyes, but for my soul.  We are given so few perfect moments in life. Words fail me--enjoy the slideshow.

My heart 's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe--
My heart's in the Highlands wherever I go....
                                     Robert Burns

Click link for slideshow; then click black area above white title
Loch Muick

Music:  Bonnie Rideout, Ainsling, Celtic Circles
More information:http://www.balmoralcastle.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Aunt Janet! It makes me wish for the highlands myself. I hope you are having a wonderful trip! It looks like you are enjoying yourself greatly. Good!

Aaron said...

No kidding. Got to go there someday. Looks like a great trip!!