Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Kensington District, London, UK





June 24, 2009

I decided I wanted to celebrate my significant birthday this year with an adventure in a place where most things were older than I.  So I jumped (flew) "across the pond" to the United Kingdom to visit my nephew Dave and his family and a good friend Julia, whom I had not seen since our college years in France.  I stayed at the Kensington Hilton where I got a good deal using my points and enjoyed their hospitality and food (big breakfast buffet and a tasty salmon dinner).   I never made it downtown for the big city sights (I've been there before), but enjoyed the residential, garden atmosphere of Kensington and the upbeat sense of neighboring Notting Hill.

I arrived late at night and was delivered from Paddington Station by one of those roomy black taxis.  So I got a little turned around the next day  returning to my hotel by foot, not being able to figure out my new iphone GPS.  Fortunately, I stopped in a friendly Caffe Nero.  They are mostly known for their coffee, but I  discovered decadent chocolate brownies, tasty sandwiches as well as good directions back to my hotel.  Nero's fiddling in Rome wasn't great, but this food was.


With a few hours before mytrain ride to Harrogate, I had a lovely walk past the embassies to Kensington Palace.  They had an interesting display about dressing for presentation at court in the 19th to 20th centuries as well as a collection of Princess Diana's renowned dresses. Kensington was the birthplace and childhood home of Queen Victoria.  I was most interested, though, in the connection to King William and Queen Mary (for whom Williamsburg was named) and to see how my fellow Virginians had been influenced by their style.  Unfortunately, I didn't leave enough time to really explore the gardens or the Princess Diana memorial.

Click link for slide show:
Kensington
Music:  Handel, Water Music Suite in D--Hornpipe, Heritage of England--This Sceptred Isle
More information: www.hrp.org.uk/kensingtonPalace/
www.hilton.co.uk/kensington

No comments: