Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stonehenge, UK

Naturally, my search for things older than I led me to mysterious Stonehenge. I had a day to spend in the environs of London before going North, so booked a one-day tour of Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Bath when I purchased my BritRail pass before leaving the US. It was more than should be squeezed into one day, but I only had one day to squeeze them into. The tour picked me up at my hotel (still adjusting to jet lag) and provided a comfortable and engaging glimpse into the history.



Coming from cities of skyscrapers and urban sprawl, I was surprised and pleased when we "stumbled" upon Stonehenge, still in the middle of nowhere--with no cheap souvenir stands or billboards on its path. The site was smaller and the stones not as tall as I had imagined ( as the temples of Egypt), but they were no less impressive. Stones of over 40 tons, placed with such astronomical accuracy 3,000-4,000 years ago. Earthen banks and trenches indicated it was a ceremonial site 1,000 years before that. Without reminders, visitors assumed a reverential tone as they walked about, imaging ancient rites and hoping to hear secrets on the breeze.

There remains much speculation about the origin of Stonehenge--from medieval tales to science fiction. Often it is associated with the Druids. While Druids may have worshiped here at some time, Stonehenge was constructed by much earlier peoples. Until earth reveals her history, how and why they did so remains one of the great mysteries.

Anti-Aging tip:  Stay aligned with your stars
Click on link for slide show:
Stonehenge
Music:
More information: www.stonehenge.co.uk/

No comments: