Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Slideshows and Photos

SLIDESHOWS LOST TO ICLOUD

SADLY, ON JUNE 30 ALL THE LINKS TO MY SLIDESHOWS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN APPLE DISCONTINUES "MY GALLERY" AS PART OF THEIR CHANGE TO ICLOUD.

I AM ALSO PREPARING AND PACKING FOR MY PERSONAL MOVE. ONCE I AM SETTLED IN A FEW WEEKS, I WILL START TO POST AGAIN AND LOOK FOR A NEW INTERESTING WAY TO SHARE MY PHOTOS THROUGH MY BLOG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY TRAVELS. I WILL FIX THINGS AS SOON AS I CAN.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Salisbury, UK



June 2009

As mentioned in earlier posts, I decided to feel younger this year by comparing myself to people and places that were older than I am.  Well, William Longespee, the Earl of Salisbury, is old.  He was one of the illegitimate children of Henry II;  a half brother to Richard the Lionheart and the infamous King John (of Robin Hood times); and, most important to me, one of my ancestors through the Fowke line.  William was present at John's signing of the Magna Carta (1215), at the laying of the foundation of Salisbury Cathedral (1220), and, being the first one buried in the cathedral,  was there to greet me (in his sarcophagus) when I arrived.  The cathedral and its chapter house have lots of superlatives--the tallest church spire in England (404 feet),  the oldest working mechanical clock in the world (1386), Britain's earliest complete choir stalls--remarkably carved (1236), and the finest of the four surviving original Magna Cartas.

Intricately carved images of fellow knights with hunting dogs at their feet and swords by their sides, tattered regimental flags of soldiers of later eras, and letters signed by Queen Elizabeth I handling routine affairs of the kingdom became my time machine as I imagined those who had filled the cathedral with prayer and song for almost eight hundred years.





Unfortunately, as conflict engulfed the nation, Protestant leaders were burned at the stake here.  But it was also at Salisbury that time finally  advanced, being the official place where the change was made from the Julian to the Gregorian Calendar  for England in 1752.  Today it is a delightful town with hanging flower baskets, corner pubs and interesting little shops to poke into.
Anti-aging advice:  Love your past!

Click on link for slideshow:
Salisbury
Music: Purcell, Fairest Isle, Spirit of England--Land of Hope and Glory
More Information:  www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury/home

No comments: